Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Gift

My husband gave me a Christmas gift this year.

Now, that has to stand alone … as a statement … as a paragraph … and as an earth-shaking event!

It’s not that he doesn’t love me. It’s not that he denies me anything that I need or want. It’s just that forced-gifting - just because the date requires it – makes him turn tail and RUN. But this year, he broke precedent, and his gift will ever warm the cockles of my heart.

We had just made a pact to not give each other a gift this year when he saw something he knew I would love … a program to make it easy to identify birds. So – regardless of our pact – he sent for it. (After all, it was only a $5.00 item!)

But when it came, he discovered that it only worked on an ipod. So – regardless of our pact – he sent for it. (Not a $5.00 item!)

And when it came, he discovered that there was a better bird program for $10.00. So – regardless of our pact – he sent for it.

And then, the whole thing burned a hole in his patience pocket! There was NO way that he could wait until the 25th to share it with me. So we had our Christmas “love-feast” in the middle of the night on the 23rd when he couldn’t stand it any longer.

I love it. … and him for knowing that I would!

I’m good when the cardinals and woodpeckers and mourning doves come to the feeder, but all those non-descript grey and brown little-nimno-birds blend together into an identification stew. Now I can begin sorting them all out.

Ain’t love grand?!?

…. and I’ll save his new underwear for Valentine’s Day, unless it burns a hole in my patience pocket a bit early.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun post to read and good for your husband. That is true love. Knowing each other for all these years is something special.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Anna!
thanks so much for visiting! I have a warm spot in my heart for you and your blog, because we used to live in Winston Salem and love everything about North Carolina! Reynolda House and Gardens are great (my children have fond memories of sneaking over there at night and putting tadpole eggs in the water features!).

Anonymous said...

So that is where all the tad poles came from around here? Now I know who to thank for the decrease in our skito population. Very cool that you lived in Winston Salem.

Jan said...

Hi Jane,
It sounds like you received a wonderful and very useful gift:) It might be something I'd like to look into...being a bird lover and all. I've never even heard of anything like it. I get a big variety of birds in my yard here in northern VA. I've gotten pretty good at identifying them, but there will always more new visitors
that I have never seen before.

Shady Gardener said...

Thank you for sharing such a warm story. I'm glad you didn't sell your binoculars to buy him something! :-)