Friday, July 18, 2008

What Good Is A Garden?

Okay … people are fighting in foreign lands, and families are aching with the missing of their loved ones. People are starving … and uneducated … and poor. What good is a garden in all of this chaos?
It centers us as to what is important.
There’s beauty. And order.
There’s lack of noise … and reason to listen.
There’s sharpening of senses. And quiet.

Seldom are the plants set out in formation, as troops are. No two days are alike. The thrill is the surprise of what the plants bring. There are the basic needs ….water, good soil, sun … or shade. And time. And temperature.

There’s coexistance. Ah-h, and bullies too. There’s harmony and clash. Somewhere in a garden, you can find love … if you pay attention.

Tennyson says it this way:

Flower in the crannied wall,
I pluck you out of the crannies,
I hold you here, root and all, in my hand,
Little flower - but if I could understand
What you are, root and all, and all in all,
I should know what God and man is.
Lord Alfred Tennyson

Most will call this drivel, and I understand.

It’s totally not the words, but it’s the thinking through of what I value.

... oh. And then there is the creek at the bottom of the garden.

No comments: