Saturday, June 14, 2008

Lying Fallow

Writing a blog certainly drives home the point to oneself that the urge to create something runs hot and cold over the period of several days or a week. While there’s the obligation to express ideas on a regular basis, the impetus to do so is not always the same. Isn’t that the way the garden is, too? We’ve been through the push of the forsythia and daffodils, the tulips, the iris, allium, poppies and peonies …… and now, all is quiet. The larkspur, lilies and hydrangeas will be next, but they’re not here yet. So ‘most everything is in “rest mode.”

I’ve been known to use this time to spray-paint the seed heads of the allium with purple paint…just to add a whimsical grace-note to things. Silly, I know. But garden giggles can be fun, too.

In others’ gardens, I’ve been admiring the Salvia ‘May Night,’ the pink …. hmmm, what looks like oenothera, and penstemon, gaura, and varying yarrows. While I have a smattering of them, there’s no “pow place” in my garden that emphasizes their bloom. I’ll have to work on that.

This is a season that – for me – introduces a challenge to fill in with more things that bloom now. Back to the drawing board.

No comments: