Sunday, December 20, 2009

Merry Everything, and Happy Always

We harvested the Brussels sprouts just in time – before the big snowstorm came.


And now the garden is blanketed beautifully with the promise of a white Christmas.


As long as I can look at it from beside the fireplace, I can catch the correct spirit. Poor Dave passes it (on the outside) while he muscles the firewood, brings up the boxes of decorations, and carries the ashes down to the compost heap. I like my observation point better!

My Christmas card addressing time felt so, so rich … all those friends! I love counting my blessings, don’t you?

And inside? The burgeoning paperwhites fill the house with joy and promise.


Everything that is sweet about our lives stands out clearly in the snowy time.

Merry Everything ... and Happy Always!

5 comments:

Marie said...

Jane,
The Brussel sprouts look wonderful! What a treat at this time of year. I grew them once and they were so buggy - picture a pot full of Brussel sprouts with zillions of bugs floating on top. I never grew them again. What's your secret?

Have a happy holiday by your fire. Tis the season to sit and read all the wonderful gardening books and catalogs.

Jane said...

Thanks, Marie.....hope your holiday is dynamite. Must be dumb luck on the sprouts.....this was my first year growing them! I love trying new stuff.
The catalogues have been filling my mailbox, and I SO look forward to reading everything in the new year. First I make the "dreamin' list," and then I pare it down to the real list. xxx J

Kathy said...

Love the picture with the snow and the arch. Thinking of seeds and things to grow but it's only January.

Marie said...

Hi Jane,
Happy Spring!

Jennifer AKA keewee said...

We are into spring here on Whidbey Island, so I don't envy you your snow. I have been out in the veggie garden already and have some plants in. I hope to do better with Brussels sprouts this year now I know their requirements for a good yield.
Stay warm.