Friday, May 15, 2009

Kiss Formal Goodbye

Who can even imagine my excitement about having a brand new garden to plant! The only thing missing from this garden is the picket fence; that comes next … well, the plants as well. Just look at this beautiful place that Dave created for me …


I’m sure you will have immediate thoughts about how you would plant it, and that those ideas won’t compare in any way to what actually happens here. First of all, it’s a very formal space that we’re going to use to photograph cottage garden growth. So we’ll be treating it informally!

The garden came into being because we couldn’t find good gardens to photograph that had picket fences. So we decided to create an intimate “feel” but it had to be out where we have good sun. We want to grow a mix of flowers for cutting and vegetables too. Even though it’s late in the season to put in peas and potatoes and spinach and such, we’re going to try … along with the regular warm soil stuff.

Talk about mixing metaphors, this will be a formal plan that is planted informally. It will be an intimate space even though it’s smack dab in the middle of an open area. It will be cottage-y, but it will have a Victorian urn in the center.

(Sue me! I own the urn and don’t own the requisite sun dial or birdbath!) So even though every fiber of my being is calling for Box hedges or at least Germander, I’m marching to different drummers this week.

We’re in for some glorious adventures this season – buckle your seatbelts. And take a last look at these good bones.




Thanks, Dave. I love you too.
(…and this time I really mean it! Tee hee!)

No comments: